March 17, 2014

P Factor

Hello SSCP Students,

I am excited to serve as the new SSCP Student Listserv Facilitator!  Some of my classmates brought a very interesting article to my attention that I wanted to share with you.  The authors examined the structure of psychopathology over 20 years in the Dunedin Multidisciplinary Health and Development Study and found that a single factor (called the p factor) explained psychiatric disorders and predicted life impairment, familiality, developmental history, and early-life brain function.  These findings may help explain high rates of comorbidity as well as challenges in differentiating individual mental disorders. Here is the link: (http://cpx.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/08/14/2167702613497473.abstract)

I would be very interested to hear people's thoughts on these findings.  How might this change the direction of research on psychopathology?


Andrea
SSCP Student Listserv Facilitator

No comments:

Post a Comment